HONG KONG — Sixteen individuals who had been trapped in a coal mine in southwestern China died of carbon monoxide poisoning, native officers mentioned on Sunday.
A complete of 17 folks have been pulled from the Songzao mine within the metropolis of Chongqing, the native authorities mentioned on social media. One particular person was taken to the hospital, it added.
The lethal carbon monoxide ranges have been brought on by the ignition of belts within the mine, the native authorities mentioned, with out offering particulars.
The mine had beforehand been cited for security violations, based on the Chongqing Coal Mine Security Administration. Regulators issued a fine simply two weeks in the past after inspectors discovered that the positioning, which is a subsidiary of the state-owned Chongqing Vitality Funding Group, had not carried out month-to-month security checks on gear.