A Gorgeous, Hand-Crafted Metroidvania Aventure Begins
It’s always good to highlight a new indie game, especially when that indie game is a visual treat. Fallen Tear: The Ascension is an upcoming 2D Metroidvania/JRPG hybrid set in the fantasy world of Raoah, a vibrant setting dripping with color and beautiful cel-shaded graphics. But this isn’t just any adorable fantasy adventure–Fallen Tear is a dark fantasy adventure, which means that protagonist Hira is continuously haunted by Overgrowth, a terrible monster from his past, and the demo trailer shows him painfully transforming into the bestial figure. Congratulations, CMD Studios, you have our attention.
This contemporary take on two classic genres will incorporate exploration, party management, trust levels, and character progression. You can also customize your characters with several ability and skill systems to make sure you play the way you want to play. The game is filled with hand-drawn 2D animation and it’s absolutely gorgeous. This is definitely one title to investigate for visuals alone.
Key features include:
- Go on a journey through a fantasy world and its diverse interconnected biomes and cities.
- The world of Raoah has many different paths and doors: most are in plain sight, some are difficult to access, and others are hidden. Make your own way through this open, expansive world.
- As you fight and help others, your learnings will give you Soul, which grants access to Masteries and helps your party members gain Trust!
- Find the 22 Fated Bonds! These characters chosen by ancient pacts will assist you in your journey with their Talents, and occasionally provide Services. These abilities grow stronger as you continue to gain their Trust!
- Learn Masteries that will help define your character’s unique traits! Will you specialize in attacking, or will you instead choose defense to survive the most grievous of wounds? The choice is yours!
- Unearth your true power with the Ascensions! The mystic bonds forged in your journey will unlock powerful abilities tied to Hira’s mysterious origins. Gain access to abilities that vary from powerful wall-breaking energy attacks to the ability to dash or jump twice in mid air.
- Are you an aspiring monster slayer? Join the Korr Hunter’s Guild and put your combat skills to the test! Earn contracts and learn new Maneuvers as you go up the ranks!
- A whole world’s worth of diverse and zany characters (and monsters!) all brought to life with detailed, handcrafted 2D animation.
- The intertwined destinies of Hira and the Fated Bonds are unleashed with powerful Unities unique to the combination of party members you bring along on your journeys. Mix and match your party members to find them all!
Fallen Tear: The Ascension will see a full release in 2023, but it’s about to launch a public demo on March 31st. If you just can’t wait, there’s also a limited early release demo available here.